Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thursday Threads

Happy Thursday, everyone! It's almost the end of the work week, and it's time for the first Thursday Thread of August. This week, we'd like to know:


When and where are you reading?

Here's our responses:

Marg: I am currently in a hospital boat off the coast of Gallipoli in the early days of World War I. I am with two Australian sisters who come from country Australia but they are now working as nurses under extremely trying circumstances. The book is Daughter of Mars by Tom Keneally.

Julie: I am in 1999, reading the fascinating account of island living, absorbing the remoteness and challenges, and researching sea turtles along with the history of the remote Ascension Island. The book is called Turtle Island by Sergio Ghione.

Nanette: I'm in alternate-history London, where Queen Victoria never died, aristocrats are vampires or werewolves, and chaos reigns. Join me in the steampunk world created by Kate Locke in God Save the Queen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm late to the Thursday party-but apparently I'm not the only one! I am entering the 1640s in England with Queen Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles I and mother of Charles II. The novel is Fiona Mountain's "Cavalier Queen," published last fall in the UK. While Mountain's account moves slowly, it is enlivened with period detail, such as descriptions of Henrietta's dresses from portraits, and a look at at court masque. Having only read Hibbert (Plaidy)'s "Myself My Enemy," it is interesting to see Henrietta Maria portrayed as a vivacious young woman. Nonetheless, coming from a more autocractic (and Catholic) French court, she tends to support the absolutist beliefs of Charles I without trying to grasp the different attitudes of many of the English people.

    ReplyDelete